Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Hi there, my 5 month old Patterdale X started limping on

Hi there,

my 5 month old Patterdale X started limping on his right front leg last night when he got off the couch. (which is the length of my forearm tall) after 15 minutes he stopped and was okay until about 10 minutes after he woke. It seems like its on and off, going from no limp to, slight limp. I have checked from paw to top of leg and there seems to be no pain. Do you please have any ideas on what it could be?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response, it appears no experts were available when you posted your question. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Does the lameness shift to another leg or always on the right front leg?
2- Any swelling?
3- Is he on any medications?
4- How much does he weigh?
5- Any pre existing medical conditions?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The lameness does not shift to the other leg. It seems to be his lowe right leg

There is no swelling at all anywhere

he isn't on any medication

he weighs 7 kg

and no pre existing medical conditions

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- Lower meaning the back leg or lower part of front leg?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

lower part of the front right leg. when he sits or stands still he lifts his paw. i have checked his paws and nothing seems to be embedded and when i apply a little pressure he doesn't seem in pain. He just then for 15 minutes did not limp at all and has now started again

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Jamie, what you are describing is consistent with a soft tissue (muscle, tendon or ligament) injury. This is what you can do:

1- Rest him, no running or jumping for the next 4 weeks. Activity should be limited to urinate and defecate on a leash.
2- Buffered Aspirin 325mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for 1 week with food.
3- If no significant improvement in 1-2 days after doing the above follow up with family veterinarian for a hands on examination.
4- If he does improve continue to rest him as described above even if he is not limping. Soft tissue injuries require weeks of rest to heal appropriately.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter