Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog has several cancer lumps that she has had for approx

Customer Question

My dog has several cancer lumps that she has had for approx 3 years.however the lump on her shoulder has grown over the last few days and is weeping, what should I do
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Has the lump being confirmed by a vet that it is cancer with a biopsy?
2- How big is the lump?
3- How old is your dog?
4- What is the appearance of the discharge?
5- Is he licking or scratching the area?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It has been confirmed as cancer, she had a lump taken out of her side 3 years ago and we were told it was aggressive. She is 13 years old and is as taffy. She is running and eating well.the lump has grown to about the size of a small egg, it was bleeding slightly but now it just looks like the muscle is pushing through and she is licking it
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Friend, one of the problems when dealing with cancerous tissues is that cells become necrotic (dying off) and this causes fluid discharge, infection, etc. Very difficult to stop this from happening; it will continue to get worst and often topical treatment do not work as the tissue becomes necrotic. At this stage the best option is to speak to your veterinarian about surgically removing the lump. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Need to stop her from licking area or she is going to make it worst. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking/gnawing at affected area.
2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Dilute 1-2 tablespoon for every cup of water. Use this mixture to flush the wound 2-3 times a day.
3- After flushing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.
4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter