Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

my dog has a deep cough , quivers trembles at the mouth and

Customer Question

my dog has a deep cough , quivers trembles at the mouth and lifts when he breathes from his stomach
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Ted. A deep cough with an abdominal "push" indicates compromise of his lungfields which has a number of etiologies. The least life-threatening is a chronic obstructive pulmonary disease such as chronic bronchitis. The more dangerous etiologies include heart disease causing a congestive heart failure and malignancy either in the lungs themselves or outside the lungs in the pleural space or mediastinum. Cancers can be primary in the chest cavity or metastatic from cancer elsewhere - often the abdomen. Lungworm is a consideration as well depending upon where you live in the UK.

Ted needs to have a thorough physical exam including X-rays of his thorax. I regret that I can't be more specific for you because I'd have to auscultate (listen) and X-ray Ted's chest as well. His symptoms, however, may be life-threatening and so I encourage your having Ted looked at by his vet at your earliest convenience.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.
May I have an update on Ted, please?