Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My 26 lb lab ate a ibuprofen this morning he seems to be fine

My 26 lb lab ate a ibuprofen this morning he seems to be fine apart from he has bad dirrhia will he be ok
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

Dr. Altman :

Can you please tell me what mg Bill ingested? And he is only 25 pounds for a Labrador (Just confirming, that's tiny!)?

Dr. Altman :

The usual dose in dogs is 2.5 to 4 mg per pound (5 to 8 mg/kg) every 12 hours so I just want to confirm his weight and the mg ingested

Dr. Altman :

CLICK HERE for more information on ingestion of ibuprofen in dogs

Customer:

He had 200mg tablet and meant to be 26kg sorry

Dr. Altman :

LOL that's ok, it just sounded tiny!

Dr. Altman :

Give me one moment to do the calculation

Dr. Altman :

So that is a 7.7 mg/kg dose

Customer:

So what does that mean?

Dr. Altman :

According to studies of acute ingestion of ibuprofen in dogs, vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, anorexia, gastric ulceration, and abdominal pain can be seen with doses of 50-125mg/kg

Dr. Altman :

So likely with this dose you are seeing the worst signs for him, which is loose stool

Dr. Altman :

It could also lead to vomiting, reduced appetite, vomiting with blood, blood in stool

Dr. Altman :

If this occurs then it is time to have him see your veterinarian

Dr. Altman :

In the meanwhile reducing his normal diet by 25% and supplementing white rice for 2-3 days would be advised to bulk up his stools

Dr. Altman :

Does this information make sense?

Customer:

Ok will do thanks for your help

Dr. Altman :

But he is in the high normal advised dose in dogs although we don't tend to advise the use of ibuprofen because of the gi side effects

Dr. Altman :

Can I assist with any additional questions this evening?

Customer:

No thanks

Dr. Altman :

Good luck to you both, I hope he is back to normal in the next few days :)

Dr. Altman :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!