Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Every so often my dog comes out in what I think is a rash,

Customer Question

Every so often my dog comes out in what I think is a rash, ( lots of bumps on his skin) and then the fur starts to fall out and a kind of waxy skin peels off also. It does not seem particularly itchy he is not always scratching it and it is mostly on his side or back.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about Sonny's skin problem. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

I tried to find Avocet treatment; not quite sure what that is! I did find "Advocate", a flea treatment; is that what you mean?

How long has he had this skin problem? After the waxy skin peels off, does the skin return to normal? Where on his body does it happen?

Have any tests been done, such as skin scraping to look at skin cells and hair follicles under a microscope?

If he were my dog, a skin scraping is probably the first thing I would do, to look for infection, yeast, or microscopic mites in the hair follicles.

If that did not tell me what the problem is, my next step might be to apply a combination of topical antibiotic ointment, along with a topical hydrocortisone ointment to the area when you first see the rash and bumps.

I might consider testing for hypothyroidism, low thyroid function. That can result in skin problems, and if his thyroid is low, is easy to treat.

If none of this gives us an answer, or helps him, then my next step would be a skin biopsy, and send some small samples of skin to a lab to be examined by a specialist in skin, called a "dermatohistopathologist".

This is where I would start if he were my own. Please let me know what else I can answer or help with.

Rebecca
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes the vet did a scraping and said that he had an extreme allergic reaction to mites .

I do have another dog which has no problems at all .

It has only fairly recently started happening in the last year or so, with a few months in between infections.

Yes sorry Avocate is what I mean she said it was more effective against mites.

I do not particularly believe that mites are the cause, however his fur does fall out and leaves patchy fur all over the area, last time we gave him Avocate ( every 4 weeks ) bathed him, with a medicated shampoo and also gave him about 2 weeks antihistamine tables ( Piriton)

She did mention a steroid treatment if it got worse, but it did get better.

I was his bedding every week we hoover constantly and I just don't know what else to do it looks awful.

Maureen

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I agree, this does not sound like mites. If the skin scrapings did not show any mites, then that is good evidence that it is not and it is time to look for something else.

If it looks that bad, then my next step would be some basic blood tests, including a thyroid. If that is all good, I would next do a skin biopsy. That involves some sedation, and using what looks like a tiny cookie cutter to get some plugs of skin for a specialist to examine microscopically.

I might see what the topical antibiotics and steroids do.

You could try some supplements for skin health, like vitamin E, fish oil, and bathing the area in oatmeal shampoo.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the good rating.

Rebecca