Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

We have a cavalier king Charles spaniel who has been treated

Customer Question

We have a cavalier king Charles spaniel who has been treated with a lump in her lympth gland just under her jaw. She has been operated on and 4 teeth extracted as that what was thought to be the problem, but had to go back for another op as a large lump appeared again which was x-rayed and burst by the vet which a lot of puss came out sent off and diagnosed not a nasty - in other words cancer. She is very unhappy and wont chew treats just swollows them, very subdued, not her usual happy self at all. We are very worried as we will be going to Spain at the end of the month to add to our worries about her. How do we stand taking her to another vet for a second opinion. We feel unsure as we have been going to this vet since he started out 40 years ago. Please can you help us.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear that Lacey is still not feeling well. It does appear, by what you have described, that this mass with pus was most likely due to a tooth abscess and this has been resolved. You said that the biopsy said cancer but you did not say what type of cancer....

It is not unusual for such a serious procedure for Lacey to take a few days to get over this. It is painful and at her age, the anesthesia can be hard on her. Your vet should have given you antibiotics and pain relievers to help Lacey past this.

For now, it is best to give supportive care but if you are not comfortable with your first vets diagnosis, take Lacey for a second opinion.....there is nothing wrong with this and this will give you peace of mind for your impending trip.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Thank you so much, Margaret, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help.

Have a wonderful day!