DR.J
DR.J, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would love to help you with your problem
74293778

Hi my XXXXX XXXXX gives off this strange acid sour smell sometimes

Hi my XXXXX XXXXX gives off this strange acid sour smell sometimes and I'm not sure why ? She has ceaser meat and dry biscuits and has regular baths even when her coat smells nice she gives off the smell from her back passage I've no idea what's causing it? Can you help please?

Many thanks Danielle
Category: Dog
Expert:  DR.J replied 3 years ago.

DR.J :

Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your question

DR.J :

\Is the small coming only from her back passage ? could it be coming from elsewhere say her mouth ?

DR.J :

How does her poo look like ? is it soft or hard ?what color does it have ? is it oily?

DR.J :

Is there anything else which is strange about her ? say - is she dragging her bottom across the floor ?

Customer: The smell is only from her back passage and her poo is normal she's not rubbing her bottom on the floor everything else about her is normal
DR.J :

Hello again and sorry it took me that long to come back .

DR.J :

and thank you for your answer

DR.J :

in the back passage one can regard two major organs which can result primarily in bad odor

DR.J :

One would be the anus/rectum and the other would be the anal sacs

DR.J :

By the diet you are feeding - I can establish that it is rich in fat (Ceaser is very rich in fat and oil) which at times can result in the naturally occurring anal sac secretions to be thicker and much smellier .

DR.J :

another option would be an abscess anywhere around that area thou this is less likely as Peanut would have shown signs of discomfort which you would have pick up on .

DR.J :

my advise would be the following . pay a visit to your vet to check if the anal glands are not infected or inflamed and as well check the consistency of the secretions (is it thick or more water like) . In case we are dealing with secretions only with no other findings , then it is worth while changing the food - giving a more fiber rich diet which could be of great help .

DR.J :

I hope this helps .

DR.J :

If you have any further questions ' please let me know and I shall do my best to help.

DR.J :

all the best to you both

DR.J :

James

DR.J :

Please before you leave our conversion - do forget to rate it