Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My small rescued Yorkshire Terrier has what appears to be "dandruff"

My small rescued Yorkshire Terrier has what appears to be "dandruff" but this solidifies at the skin forming a sort of crust. Several shampoos have proved useless, it is worst around the head which forms hard black scabs, and bleeding if combed out.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response, it appears no experts were available when you posted your question. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- What are the names of the shampoo or ingredients that you have used?
3- Is she itchy?
4- Has she been seen by a veterinarian for this problem? If so, have they done any testing?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. Since I have had him |(about 18 months) he was very badly treated and had alopecia.

2. I have tried "head and Shoulders" "Trixie" "Artero" "Menforsan". I have also tried conditioner, but no improvement whatsoever.

3. A small sore in the ear will not heal - this is the only "scratched" area.

4. My vet said it's an on going problem.

5. I have used and "olive oil" based cream on the ear which seems to give very temporary relief but the problem is equally as bad the next day.

The loose flakes brush out but at the base of the hair it congeals like glue and will not wash or brush out

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- What is the name of the food?
2- How long has she been on this food?
3- How often do you bath her?
4- Do you give her table food?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. The Food is Royal Canine Sensitivity. + Adance dry food (although this has now stopped because he is short on teeth!

2. 18 months.

3. About every 10 days

4. No table food

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Hilda, what you are describing is consistent with a bacterial infection (superficial pyoderma). As far as bacterial infections when chronic they are usually secondary to other medical problems like allergies, hormonal disorders, etc. Basically anything that disrupts the skin's flora. In this case, bathing every 10 days may be drying up the coat and promote the infection. I would recommend you bath Solete no more than every 21 days and use an oatmeal veterinary shampoo. Do Not use human shampoo. In addition, supplement with Omega 3 fatty acids, you can buy this over the counter in any pet store. Request from your family veterinarian to start him on oral antibiotics (cephalexin) for 3 weeks.
If after doing the above you do not see significant improvement discuss with your vet about doing a culture & sensitivity of the skin, skin scrapping and blood work to rule out hormonal disorders.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter