Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My dog gOlden retriever has swallowed astone what can I doc.

Customer Question

My dog gOlden retriever has swallowed astone what can I doc. To expedite exlpculsion
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

How large a stone do you believe Barney has swallowed? And are we sure there was just one stone? How long ago did this event occur (today, yesterday, weeks, months ago)?

Dr. Joey :

If the stone is large, then there is probably not going to be a way to encourage this to exit the stomach. If the stone is small and it has been over a few hours since ingestion, then consulting with your vet about trying a high fiber diet such as Hill's w/d to facilitate this to pass is one option. An xray would be highly useful to gauge if we think this rock can pass.

I do not recommend inducing vomiting since this could cause tremendous trauma to the esophagus if he tries to vomit the rock back up, and we run the risk of the rock becoming stuck in the esophagus which is not good (the esophagus does not respond well to surgery). Depending on the size of the rock, if we feel it cannot get out of the stomach, then endoscopy as performed by your vet could be used to grab the rock and safely remove this. If it is very large, then surgery might be needed.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.