Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

We have a lovely Staffordshire cross - who when she wags her

Customer Question

We have a lovely Staffordshire cross - who when she wags her tail it can be very sore for the children and adults if you get caught in the swing of it - she also hits it up against the edges of walls and door posts in the house and cuts it a lot leaving blood splattered walls - we put cream on the wound but she just pulls off any bandages - is there anything we can put or wrap her tail in so she doesn't hurt herself or us?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about your dog. This is a condition we call "happy tail": these dogs (often Staffies, Pitties, and mixes of those breeds) just will not stop hurting their tails.

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help. Usually I do bandage these tails until the bleeding area heals. It can be hard to put on a bandage that stays on. You have to use some padding, and then a stretchy bandage material called Vetrap, and then some really sticky tape to hold the bandage on. The hardest part is getting it tight enough to stay on, but not so tight that it cuts off circulation.

Sometimes these tails heal and are fine, and the dog can go without the bandage after a few weeks. Sometimes the damaged part of the tail is so bad it can't really heal, and so sometimes we surgically remove the end of the tail. Drastic, but sometimes it is the only thing that works long term.

There is a Chinese herb, which unfortunately is getting hard to find, called Yunnan Baiyao. It can help control bleeding and bruising. It might help, but for some reason is in short supply right now. It comes in capsules to take orally, and the powder inside the capsules can be applied directly to the bleeding area.

Please let me know what else I can answer or help with.

Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the positive rating.

Rebecca