Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

jack russel 8 yrs old,retaining water in her stomach,causing

Customer Question

jack russel bitch 8 yrs old,retaining water in her stomach,causing it to bloat.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

How long has Jacko had this problem? Has he already seen his veterinarian and, if so, what medication is he currently being treated with?

Dr. Joey :

I do want to comment that this is a very serious issue that indicates an immediate veterinary exam is needed. Fluid accumulation in the stomach could be due to liver failure, heart failure, cancer, blood in the abdomen (such as from ruptured spleen tumor), or infection. There are certainly other causes but those are the top ones.

Dr. Joey :

Please let me know what questions you have.

Customer:

your answer can not be properly read by me

Dr. Joey :

The system may be having a glitch and I do apologize. Let me retype it again:

Customer:

this is a recent complaint,and she is currently with the rspca for investigation,they are doing blood tests

Dr. Joey :

That is an excellent first step. She might also need an abdominal ultrasound.

Dr. Joey :

Please let me know if you have a certain question about this problem. Unfortunately I cannot make any suggestions for therapies or prognostic outlook without knowing what the cause of this fluid may be.

Customer:

they done that test yesterday and found the fluid,they ran out of time for blood test yesterday after keeping her in overnight and awaiting the tests this morning,she does not seam to be to affected by it,but drinking a lot??

Dr. Joey :

She is probably dehydrated since all the fluid she ingests goes right to her belly.