Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Hi, i have a dog and she is a mix breed between a maltese and

Hi, i have a dog and she is a mix breed between a maltese and a bishon frise, her skin has got really bad and we got her antibiotics and its after getting worse, shes making her tail and inside her legs bleed there that raw, any help?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Riley is so miserably itchy, with raw, bleeding skin.

Allergies are the most common cause of itchy skin and can give her a skin crawling, all over itchy type effect which many dogs find irritating. I'll give you an allergy rundown of likely causes for skin troubles. She may have more than one allergy given how symptomatic she is now.
Dogs that have one allergy often develop several with time. The effect of multiple allergies aren't additive, they actually compound one another.

Even if you don't see fleas I do recommend using protection, because they are the most common allergen and it only takes one bite a month to make an allergic dog scratch. I recommend using flea prevention even if you never see one again. Frontline Plus, Advantage II or Advantix are excellent products. Don't use over the counter products, especially Hartz or Sargents, as most are ineffective if not toxic.

Other allergens can be inhaled (like grass pollen, dust mites or molds) and you can use a combination of antihistamines and high doses of omega-3 fatty acids to help with those (they also help with the symptoms of flea allergy). In combination fatty acids and antihistamines work synergistically, much better than either one alone. If in time you notice that her symptoms worsen seasonally I would think that inhaled allergens are a part of her problem.
You can try:
1)Benadryl (diphenhydramine only don't use the combination products with acetaminophen or decongestants as they can be toxic) at 1mg to 2mg per pound of body weight or one 25mg capsule per 15 to 25 pounds of body weight orally every 8 hours.
OR 2)Claritin (loratidine) at 5mg per 25 pounds of body weight once or twice daily.
OR 3)Hydroxyzine at 1mg per pound of body weight orally every 8 hours.
OR 4) Chlorpheniramine at 4mg to 8mg per dog once or twice daily. Some dogs do better on one antihistamine rather than another. You'll have to see which one works. Pick one, give it a week trial and if it isn't working try another. Be aware antihistamines can cause sleepiness or hyperactivity in some dogs. These side effects do wear off with repeated use
Omega-3 fatty acids are fish oil products. 3V by DVM or Derm Caps ES are good brand name products. Use the high end of the dosing schedule for your pup's weight. I recommend a dose based upon the EPA portion (eicosapentanoic acid) of the supplement as if we do that the rest of the supplement will be properly balanced. Give her 10mg to 20mg of EPA per pound of body weight per day. For example an 20 pound dog could take 200mg to 400mg of EPA per day.

Cool water baths with an oatmeal shampoo or chlorhexiderm shampoo (which is antibacterial and antifungal) and a conditioner with an antihistamine may help. The water rinses off allergens and the cool temperature soothes itchy skin.

Food allergy is very possible with her as food allergies are the most common allergen in young dogs other then flea bite allergy. Dogs can develop allergies to any protein or carbohydrate so even if she is only fed one thing that can be what she is allergic to. Dogs with food allergies tend to lick and scratch their paws, face and ears the most, but any of the "allergy reactive areas" can be affected. You could try a true hypoallergenic diet like Hills z/d or Purina Veterinary Diets HA. No treats, flavored medication or bones while on the diet and it must be used for a least 12 to 16 weeks to see the full effects. You should see some improvement in 6 to 8 weeks though.

Another option if the antihistamines and omega 3's aren't enough is a product called Atopica. It suppresses the immune system a bit so it decreases allergic symptoms but it doesn't have as many harmful side effects as systemic steroids. Another option is a brand new drug called Apoquel (generic name oclacitinib) which interferes with the allergic pathway. It works very quickly to stop the symptoms of an allergy. Most dogs are reported to be much more comfortable in a day or so. If you are interested discuss these medications with your veterinarian as they are prescription products.

If Riley has worsened on antibiotics she may have a secondary yeast infection, which antibiotics will worsen, or she may have skin parasites which antibiotics won't help.

If she has never had a skin swab, deep skin scraping or skin biopsy to look for skin mites then your veterinarian should look for parasites like cheyletiella, demodex or sarcoptes as they can lead to very itchy skin and secondary inflammation.

Another thing you might want to discuss with your veterinarian is blood testing for inhaled allergies. She is young for inhaled allergies (atopy) to be developing already but if she is clear for skin parasites that is another avenue to explore.

If your veterinarian seems stumped ask for a referral to a veterinary dermatologist, they specialize only in skin diseases and may be able to get her more comfortable more quickly.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Kara,

We already used Frontline Plus and we were to by our vet not to use it that it is as if she reacted to it,

She was had a high temp on saturday, its gone down now with a steriod injection, but her skin has got worse, shess licking like mad and biteing, shes not herself today she will not come when we call her and she looks like shes in pain.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry to hear that she had a reaction to Frontline. Some dogs are sensitive to topical flea preventatives, but it isn't common. Usually when the reaction happens it is at the site where the product was applied. It would be unusual to see skin lesions on her inner legs and abdomen from a product that was applied to her back without lesions on her back as well.
If she is in as severe a condition as it sounds like I would get her back to her veterinarian for a recheck. It is possible her skin lesions are caused by an autoimmune condition like Pemphigus or a severe drug reaction and she may need to be hospitalized for injectable medications and intravenous fluid therapy. I suspect that she is in pain.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I rang my vet and he said that it will take 5 - 7 days to see any progress, but i no myself she is getting worse and is not herself,

If i was to put Aleo Vera or Vaseline on the raw parts would that help her in any way or would that be harmful to her?

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Aloe vera might not hurt, and it may be soothing, but make sure she doesn't ingest it as it can cause vomiting and diarrhea.
Do not apply Vaseline, that will seal in any bacteria on the skin which could lead to a massive secondary bacterial infection.
I would place an Elizabethan collar to prevent her from licking as she is only making herself worse by traumatizing already raw skin.
I would also start oral omega 3 fatty acids. They are natural anti-inflammatories, are terrific for supporting skin health and cannot hurt her.
If she isn't eating and drinking though I agree with you in that we cannot wait 5 to 7 days to see progress, she needs supportive care.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok Thanks,

What way will i give her the omega 3 fatty acids?

Will i take her off the food we always give her and feed her some fish and meat maybe raw?

That would help her and there would be omega 3 in fish,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
The best way to get omega 3 fatty acids would be with a supplement. Food sources simply won't have the high quantity that she needs now.
Omega-3 fatty acids are fish oil products. 3V by DVM or Derm Caps ES are good brand name products. Use the high end of the dosing schedule for your pup's weight because she has severe symptoms now. I recommend a dose based upon the EPA portion (eicosapentanoic acid) of the supplement as if we do that the rest of the supplement will be properly balanced. Give her 10mg to 20mg of EPA per pound of body weight per day. For example a 20 pound dog could take 200mg to 400mg of EPA per day.

I would not recommend a raw diet now, she is battling a skin problem and would be more susceptible to secondary bacterial infections. There are veterinary formulations of true hypoallergenic diets (Hills z/d or Purina Veterinary Diets HA) or you can work with a veterinary nutritionist to design a homemade hypoallergenic diet based upon what she has been fed in the past. and thus what she may be allergic to. No treats, flavored medication or bones while on the diet and it must be used for a least 12 to 16 weeks to see the full effects. You should see some improvement in 6 to 8 weeks though.
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience: Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.