Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

My 10 year old Labrador had an op for a blocked lower bowel

My 10 year old Labrador had an op for a blocked lower bowel [seaweed] four weeks ago. The past week his stools have been very soft. Would a change of food be of help?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 9 years of experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you.

Any vomiting?
Is he on heartworm preventative?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no vomiting. recieves injections yearly

Okay. The reason I asked about the heartworm preventative is that the monthly preventatives protect against intestinal parasites. Here is what I would do. If he is having softer stools, and there has not been any table scraps or change in diet recently, I would feed him a bland diet of boiled chicken breast and white rice in a 50/50 mixture for the next several days until his stool consistency is back to normal. You can also try dropping off a stool sample at your local vet clinic to test for parasites if that hasn't been done in the past 6 months. You can also give a dose of probiotic once daily if you have any, or instead you can give a tablespoon of plain yogurt twice daily. If things have not improved at all within 3 days, or if he stops eating or starts vomiting, see your veterinarian. I would not assume that he needs a permanent diet change, he may just be having a temporary issue.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.