Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My 13 yr old Alsation apart from arthritis

My 13 yr old Alsation apart from arthritis, is healthy. Burt alas i gave her a meal. our young Labradodle also, a meal of fresh kidney and liver as a treat. All was O.K. Stools firm etc, now 3 days later she has suddenly passed a stool that looks suspiciously like that meal. How come? She is still happy, though unsteady on her feet from the arthrits and has eaten her food, back to the usual. Cleared her plate. It is not a normal stool with fresh blood, or even a stool with darker blood which would denote bleeding further up the intestinal tract, This looks like the colour of that meal. So do I just keep an eye on her and see if her stools return to normal.? Our labradoodle is 2 and a half and fine- at the moment anyway. Any advice please. Grace XXXX

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name is***** am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.
I am sorry to hear about this concern.
Well, fortunately, she still is still in the same spirits and eating fine.
An acute onset of bowel movement change can occur sorts of reasons including:
- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)
- Stomach or intestinal foreign body
- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)
- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also.
- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.
- Less commonly, endocrine diseases.
- Generally, in older pets, I am also concerned about organ disease (liver, kidneys) and cancer.
Yes, understood that you are not observing melena or hematochezia, bleeding from various parts of the intestinal tract.
So, as long as Tia is not in distress, breathing harder or panting to suggest nausea or pain, not straining to defecate, than you could monitor her 24 hours. If the feces continues to look irregular to suggest maybe a malabsorption problem, or Tia begins to lose her appetite or vomit, those would be the red flags more immediate vet visit.
At her age, the intestinal tract can be quite sensitive, so even the treats, from time to time, can cause some intestinal upset. I would hold off giving any medications just to see if problem even persists.
I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving, please remember to select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer . My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I understand all you say. My query is- it has taken three days before this "meal" has come through. is that possible? She has just now come to her usual place. On her bed under the desk i am sitting at. No vomiting or distress. But I will monitor her. You are very reassuring and I thank you. Very satisfied.