Ask a Dog Question, Get an Answer ASAP!
Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your question
Sorry to hear about Your little one .
But first could you answer some of my questions :
1. when did it happen and how long did it last ?
2. was it painful or litchi?
3. Has that ever happen before ?
4. what does she eat (have you changed foods?)
5. have you taken her on a walk to a new location , or on a trip before that happened?
She 's had it for over a month now, before it was just redness and now swollen. This morning it was a bit better but she is itching. She goes to our garden which has different plants flowers during this month and I have also taken her out for a walk outside, but she had it before I took her out. It seems to be allergy as last spring she went out and then she could not breath and we had to take her to emergency and they injected her with something and she baecame ok.
We always cooked fresh chiken with rice with some carrot and nothing else. She always had this food, but now we have changed it as we think she might have got soem allergy to chicken and we got her "Freshpet Vital grain free complete food". She only eat a little and rather have our meal than dog meal!
I also got her "Allerg-Eze" for dogs which is vitimins and helps immune sysetem.
She also has dryness on her skin and inside ear.
Is allovera gel good to rub or shall I not use that?
I also stopped wahing her bed and clothing with strong detergen but mild one. So I really do not know what to do.
Can I giver her some of the food we eat that is cooked with onions? They say onions are really bad for dogs.
Sorry forgot to mention that her problem first started with a small wound and dryness by her lips and then on her hands. Now ther is no wound but extremdryness on elbows and swollen paws and hands.
Hi again .
Well I think there are several factors which need addressing .
1. Food - as she has a sensitivity history when it comes to food then we need to keep a strict diet meaning we can not mix and match different types of food on experimental base (especially human food). we must stick to one diet (harsh as it may be) and not introduce new proteins . What would be best is to place her on Hypoallergenic food or to keep on with the chicken and rice you have been feeding so far as I don't believe it to be the cause of any of the presenting symptoms (you can ask your vet for hypoallergenic food ) . I say again - one type of food and nothing else ! non of your food no matter how much she asks for it .
* Onions are very poisonous to dogs - do not give
2. environment - it might very well be that she is allergic to something in her environment - could be in your garden (plants , pollen or even the cut grass which is very allergic to may dogs ). or something outdoors . This always proves difficult to find what in specific is the cause so general care must be taken ' especially when we think it's a seasonal thing . The best course of treatment is A. try and avoid plants and grass which we know can result in such allergic presentation (as best we can) B. Arm ourselves with antihistamines (piriton - you can get it at Boots over the counter - give 4mg up to three times a day ,no more) . in case this doesn't help then a low dose of steroids would do the trick and reduce the swelling and discomfort .
3. infection - it seems that we as well have an element of infection here (by the sound of what you are saying). I would suggest a course of antibiotics (to be given by your vet) in order to help with secondary infections . It is worth while using Malaseb shampoo to bath the feet against potential yeast infection as well .
I think that what we are dealing here with is under treated allergic reaction with secondary bacterial / yeast infection .
The sooner we address it properly and maintain your little one on an all allergy avoiding protocol ' the better she will be for a long duration
I hope this helps
If you have any further questions please let me know and I shall do my best to be back ASAP .
All the best to you both
p.s - the problems in the ear are related to the general problem in skin - so treating the skin will help resolve the ear problem as well .
Please - before leaving our chat do not forget to rate it :)
Many thanks James. I will try your instructions.
Thank you for your detailed response. Just want to make sure about the anti-hestamine piriton that you advised, that is not strong for dogs since they are meant for humans. Can a course of anti-biotics can be done in form of injection work for instance for 10 days or only in tablet forms?
Hi and thank you.
you said "There is an injectable antibiotic called Convenia which has a 2 week after (after only one injection) and that would be the best option for you (ask your vet for it )"
Do you mean tha this injuction will cover two weeks taking anti-biotic?
Also I had previously asked you about alovera and whether it is good rubbing in her dry elbows and legs?ma or coud it harm her as she's got redness and dryness in those areas.