DR.J
DR.J, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would love to help you with your problem
74293778

I have a 18 month old springer that is full of life , but last

I have a 18 month old springer that is full of life , but last night just layed down staring upwards and as if was in another world . He would not respond to me and was constantly swallowing. His eyes were weird as if he could see other things and not me.
This morning he was fine for 10 mins chasing after his ball and then he came and sat with me and the same happened again . After about half an hour he came to again and was full of the joys of spring please can you tell me what is happeniung to him
XXXXX XXXXXon
Category: Dog
Expert:  DR.J replied 3 years ago.

DR.J :

Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your question

DR.J :

could you please tell me :

DR.J :

1. Is Teddy passing normal feces ? is he vomiting ?

DR.J :

2. how is his appetite ?

DR.J :

3. how long do these episodes last ? is he showing any strange behavior before or after the even as well (looking scared and such) ?

Customer:

His feces have beeen a bit loose, no vomiting, he has a good appetite and yes he looks very scared. Last night he was like it for well over an hour , this morning after about 20 mins I had to leave him and get things done and he seemed to come round but I think if I had stayed stroking him it would have taXXXXX XXXXXer.

DR.J :

thank you for your answer Jane .

DR.J :

What you are describing does sound somewhat neurological but does not sound like a seizure by any means .

DR.J :

As there are no other symptoms currently I would not get overly concerned but I would suggest doing the following .

DR.J :

1. have you very perform a basic neurological exam - he/she will check his basic neurological responses in regards XXXXX XXXXX , hearing , coordination and gait .

DR.J :

2. have a blood test performed - just to see that all is ok . At times , there are some diseases which have to do with the hormonal systems which can manifest with neurological signs as well as some metabolic diseases to which simple blood tests can at times give a good indication .

DR.J :

3. Conduct a diary where you will put down the time, duration and appearance of each episode . As well make sure to film them on your phone so you can later present it to your vet for better understanding.

DR.J :

All and all I am not overly concerned at this point . This could be the first signs of a neurological condition but it as well could be a passing neurological phenomena which will goo away as Teddy gets older.

DR.J :

In order to feel calmer - pay that visit to your vet and has for what I have instructed you .

DR.J :

I hope this helps

DR.J :

do you have anything more you wish to ask ?

DR.J :

If you do have anything else you wish to ask , please let me know and I shall do my best to be back ASAP .

DR.J :

I wish you both all the best

DR.J :

cheers

DR.J :

James

DR.J :

please do not forget to rate us before you leave our chat