Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

lab 3 years old in last 6 months has had 3 turns .that has

Customer Question

lab 3 years old in last 6 months has had 3 turns .that has lasted 2/4 mins cant get up legs and body twich eyes bright no dischard from mouth ,urine or turds make a fuss of him get up runs off with the uthers
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome.

This is not an information request, but just a short message to introduce myself.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me ten minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and then type things up. I will then get back to you and we can then talk things over. If you so wish, as a value added service I am also able to speak to you directly by phone or by Skype or by other means.

Regards,

Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting.

Sorry to hear about Snow's problem.

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think ...

1. Given your dog's age and breed it is almost certain that what you describe is being caused by idiopathic (inherited) epilepsy.
Unfortunately this is a well know inherited problem in your breed and the first fit will normally occur around the two to three years age group.

2. This is a very variable disease and symptoms can vary from very minor to quite severe but once the actual fits have started they will normally continue at intervals throughout the dog's life.

3. Since there is nothing you can do about this disease on a home remedy basis all you can do is to have your vet check Snow over. It is possible to control this disease with prescription drugs if the symptoms warrant it.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Alternatively if it will make things clearer I am also able to talk things over with you directly by phone or by Skype or by other means. { This is a value added service }

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

good advice. have left good rating . and have taken dog to our vet

Hello again,

Thanks for the update.

Please let m eknow what your vet says ...

Good luck with Snow,

Scott