Dr. Scott
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.
19741892

my llaso apso has a transparent film of skin that look a bit

Customer Question

my llaso apso has a transparent film of skin that look a bit dishrevelled on his pupil, it looks as if it could be lifted off it. he has had it for some time now but it does not seem to bother him.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 3 years ago.
Hello there,

How large is the area you are referring to? Is Bailey rubbing or squinting the eye? Has there been a previous injury to that eye?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

about forty per cent of the pupil, no he is not squinting or rubbing it, he bit a cable about five years ago and had to get his tongue coterised.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

have answered your question, think you should give me the cash back as i've learnt nothing

Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 3 years ago.
In this breed there are several eye problems that can cause a film on the cornea. Fat deposits within the corneal layers will cause an eye to appear as you described. It can be removed but in some cases comes back over time. Calcium deposits can also form on the cornea but those are hard and opaque and usually cause eye pain with squinting and rubbing. There are less common dermoid growths that can form on the cornea but those usually are pink in color but not painful. Those can also be removed if they cause problems. A scar on the cornea from previous injury is also possible but the dog would have had a history of eye injury in the past. Once a scar forms it often gets smaller over time and most have a grey-blue color to them. Dry eye in this breed is not uncommon and can also result in changes in the cornea but those dogs will have chronic mucoid discharge from the eyes and they are usually inflamed as well. The only way to determine which cornea issue you are dealing with is to have a piece of it sent to the lab for examination.