Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

hi my dog last week had been sick 3 times in a week his faeces

Customer Question

hi
my dog last week had been sick 3 times in a week his faeces were normal but the last two vomits were indigested food. so i took him to a vet and they gave him a injection his temp was 102 and they gave him 4 days of nisamox 50mg and 3 days of promax
he stopped being sick till the 5th day when he was sick just yellow watery stuff the vet said he could have been the antibiotics making him feel sick..
today his stomach is making squeaky noises he isn't eating anything but grass and his stools are soft. the vet said it could be where i changed his food from burns to real canyon too quickly and its given him a upset stomach... all he wants to do is eat grass... shall i let him ?
I've been given 3 more days of promax.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear that Prince is not feeling well...it appears to me that he is suffering from some form of digestive disturbance caused by either stress, food change or something odd he may have ingested. The Promax is good but does not have anti emetic properties.

Try this treatment for now along with the Promax that you have been given:

Fast Prince for 12-24 hrs which he is doing himself to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.

Give Prince Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.

Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes

After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If the vomiting has resolved, then wean Prince back onto regular food. If the vomiting and diarrhea persists especially during the fast, take Prince back to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns such as an intestinal obstruction or infection

.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i can get this medicine from a chemist? and shall i allow him to eat grass

he hasn't been sick for 3 days

That is a good sign, Deniz ,but the fact that Prince still does not want to eat tells me that the disturbance is still present. The Famotidine is available at the chemist over the counter.

Try to keep him from eating grass...this will cause more nausea.

Thank you so much, Deniz, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help.

Have a wonderful day!