Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

i have a rotweiler alsatian cross. she usually slept on my

i have a rotweiler alsatian cross. she usually slept on my bed but has been sleeping on her mattress on the floor last few nights. noticed she was limping but could not see why. today on her walk she stopped and picked up her front paw. last night she got up on my bed but did not stay for long.
can i give her paracetamol for the pain. she let me strap up the paw but it is obviously very sore.
what can i do to help her. going to the vet is very expensive and i would like to try and avoid it if i can. i am a pensioner.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear about Cleo's front leg discomfort.
I don't recommend trying to wrap or splint her paw because they can slip and make things worse for her.
I do recommend very strict rest for her for the next several days. If you can find a particular spot that is uncomfortable alternating warm and cold packs for 10 minutes or so on the painful areas can be a big help.

Ideally she would see her veterinarian because the prescription medication your veterinarian has for pain will be much safer and work better than any over the counter medications that we take. In fact acetaminophen (paracetamol) and ibuprofen aren't generally used in dogs because their effective doses are very close to a toxic dose in dogs.
The only over the counter anti-inflammatory that can be used in dogs is buffered, enteric coated aspirin (like ascriptin). Aspirin does cause stomach and intestinal irritation and ulceration as well as clotting problems so should not be given for more than 2 to 3 days consecutively and should always be given with a meal. If you choose to use it watch for lack of appetite, vomiting, blood in the stools or dark tarry stools and stop immediately if you see those. Do not use aspirin if your dog has liver or kidney disease or a history of a sensitive stomach or clotting problems.
The dose for aspirin is 12 mg per kilogram of body weight orally every 12 hours (about one 325mg aspirin for a 27 kilogram dog every 12 hours). Always give with a meal. Do not use for more than 2 or 3 days.
Be aware if you choose to use aspirin and it doesn't help your veterinarian will be limited on what they can give as there must be a 5 to 7 day washout period between different nonsteroidals or nonsteroidals and steroids.

Make sure to rest him, no running , stairs or jumping.

Long term for joint pain I do recommend using a combination of a glucosamine/chondroitin product (examples are Dasuquin or Cosequin) and an omega 3 fatty acid (like 3V Caps or Derm Caps). I recommend an omega 3 fatty acid dose based upon the EPA portion (eicosapentanoic acid) of the supplement as if we do that the rest of the supplement will be properly balanced. Give her 20mg to 40mg of EPA per kilogram of body weight per day. For example a 30 kilogram dog could take 600mg to 1200mg of EPA per day. Omega 3's and glucosamine/chondroitins work synergistically and improve cartilage health and joint fluid quality and quantity as well as reducing inflammation. They can take several weeks to see full improvement but some dogs do very well with them alone. They are available over the counter.

Another option is a product called Duralactin. This is an anti-inflammatory product derived from milk proteins and it also has omega 3 fatty acids incorporated into it which can be very helpful. See this link for further information: http://www.duralactin.com/products_canine.htm

If that's not enough she should see her veterinarian for prescription drugs that are more potent. Veterinary drugs we can add include a nonsteroidal like Metacam, Deramaxx, Previcox or Rimadyl. If those aren't enough we can add another drug in the opiod family called Tramadol and/or another drug called Gabapentin. These drugs are much safer and more effective than aspirin. Aspirin used for any length of time will create gastrointestinal ulcers and clotting problems.

I also want to mention that although most limping in older dogs is related to arthritis sometimes they can develop bone tumors which are quite uncomfortable, so if you notice any swelling or she isn't improving with rest and my other recommendations then a veterinary visit is best.
Best of luck with your girl, please let me know if you have any further questions
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience: Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. WILL CHECK HER OVER THE NEXT FEW DAYS. IT IS JUST EXPENSIVE TO GET TO THE VET AS I DO NOT DRIVE.I TAKE A TAXI THERE AND BACK AND THAT IS 20 POUNDS.

SHE WAS MY SONS DOG ANDHE LEFT TO GO OVERSEAS TO WORK AND I WAS TOO WORRIED ABOUT HER NOT BEING TAKEN CARE OF.

I WILL GET HER THE GLUCOSOMINE ETC. . I TAKE IT MYSELF.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
I understand that veterinary visits can be costly, especially with a big dog as they need more medication because of their size. Perhaps very strict rest, hot and cold packs and the over the counter medications that I mentioned will help her.
Best of luck with your son's pup, she is very fortunate that you stepped in to care for her.
Thank you for the positive rating, Dr. Kara.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

she is much better as i have kept her in to stop her running about. today she is hardly limping at all.

many thanks,

jenny.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Jenny, thank you for taking the time to update me on Cleo, I am pleased to hear she is feeling so much better with strict rest. Best of luck with her and if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask, Dr. Kara.