Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

When he started to do this it was after a shrill noise on the

Customer Question

When he started to do this it was after a shrill noise on the TV rather like a smoke alarm being tested. I could ask him to leave and he did, but he suddenly seems to have got more disturbed for no apparent reason. I have been told that it is a XXXXX XXXXX trait.He is a rescue dog from Battersea and I am waiting to see if he has done this before.I have had him for 3 months before this started so it is unexplainable.He is very clean and good in all his ways.I am so sad to see him being this way, He can go a couple of days and it doesn't happen, then suddenly..wham disconcerting to say the least...
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear you are having problems with Freddy. My name isXXXXX am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

It appears part of your question got cut off. I see that he started to do it after the noise on the television, but I don't see what it is that he is doing! What is it that is happening?

This is an Info Request, to help me answer your question.

Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Freddy is barking to such an extent he is panting and shaking. When I last tried to silence him by saying leave..sit and stay he just didn't respond and jumped up and tore my blouse all along the back and if he had caught my bottom he could have ripped my flesh and it was most disconcerting. I have just been shopping and have bought a tug toy and a softish squeaky toy and am hoping to distract him from barking by more play...I sam a slow mover so will have to play from my settee..I have come to the conclusion that he might be bored...I really do not want to have to take him back to the dog's Home Maybe I should have had an older dog. I didn't time him but the barking went on for a considerable timeThankyou

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Eda,
Thank you for the additional information.

XXXXX XXXXXs are very energetic, often with a high "prey drive". They were bred as ratters, and if they do not have an outlet for hunting, running, and catching rats and mice, they can start to do obsessive behaviors like barking and jumping.

I think you are correct, he needs more play time. Long walks would help as well. I had one of these dogs once, and she had a large yard to run in, as well as getting walks ( I was younger then) of 3 to 15 miles.

If he likes toys, that will help. Squeaky toys, interactive toys like ropes, plush toys, and balls to chase ( if he can be taught to bring them to you) could all help.

Obedience class may also help, to reinforce commands like Sit and Stay and Off.

The old adage of veterinary behavior specialists is "A tired dog is a good dog". It can be hard to tire a XXXXX XXXXX! Can you get someone to take him for walks, if you can't?

These dogs can be a challenge to own. Since they are very smart, it can also be rewarding, like teaching him a new trick or word every day. A good obedience class is where I would start with a dog like this, so you can be taught how to teach him. Obedience classes are for the people, not the dogs!

Please let me know what else I can answer or help with.

Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian for more than 30 years
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating and the bonus. Much appreciated. Good luck with Freddy.

Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have plucked up courage and set him free of the leash and have called him repeatedly with treats...he has returned and seems to get the message. I had been reluctant to let him run free, being elderly and my confidence was not as high as it was years ago when I was able to run with a dog.... Anyway, the result of this, coupled with your remarks,have proved very good.He is so tired that when we get home he only wants to rest...Hopefully, I am not speaking too soon...but it is a start.I do have a lady that says she will take him for a long walk for me...that will help...Thankyou. E..S.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
That is great news! Thank you for the update.

Rebecca