Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

10 year old golden retriever right eye very bloodshot and I

Customer Question

10 year old golden retriever right eye very bloodshot and I can only see small part of pupil seems to have got worse over last few days
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about Gunner's eye. My name isXXXXX am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

When did this begin?

Is the "third eyelid" covering his eye, is that why you can't see the pupil? The third eyelid is a membrane that normally sits in the corner of the eye, but a dog can cover the eye with it, if the eye is painful or has a problem.

The first thing I would do, if he were mine, would be to test for a scratch or ulcer on the eye. These can be hard to see; we use a special dye to show them. Often we have to use topical anesthesia on the eye, to get the third eyelid to relax and go back into position so we can see the eye.

There are no over the counter eye drops for infection, pain, or inflammation in the eye. You can use topical drops like ReNu to keep the eye moist, but if there is a scratched cornea, you will need prescription medication.

He really needs to see a vet, and have the eye checked. I am worried by your description of his eye.

Please let me know what else I can answer or help with.

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the good rating!

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Hello Janet,
How is Gunner's eye doing?

Rebecca
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I took Gunner to the vet last Monday and he could not find any scratches etc on the eye. He prescribed Maxitrol Eye Drops - I think the eye is a little better.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am glad to hear his eye is better. Thank you for the update.

Rebecca