Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog swallowed a pice of hot food 6 weeks ago and was obviously

My dog swallowed a pice of hot food 6 weeks ago and was obviously uncomfortable during the follow few days. About two weeks after the burn he starting having trouble eating where he would almost hyperventilate making a parculiar noise and vomit. We took him to our local vet who treated him for the burn as they said it would still be the cause and gave him medicine for a week in order to sooth the throat. This didn't seem to work and we took him back and saw a different vet at the practice who said to mix and mash his food with water and that they thought he had burnt the esophagus and they want to see him in three weeks! My dog is still having all the symptoms and even with the watered down loaf type food and he has lost a bit of weight. Have you any ideas? I'm not convinced after all this time it's still a burn? Any advice would be great fully recieved.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry to learn Russ is not feeling well. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- What was the hot food Russ ate?
2- Is he lethargic?
3- What is in the vomit?
4- Does he vomit every time he eats?
5- Any other symptoms?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The hot food he ate was a piece of breaded scampi that was dropped getting it out of the oven.

He is not lethargic, still barking lots. He doesn't vomit every time he eats he might have the odd time when he eats the mushy food without vomiting however I think that has only happened once this week.

The vomit is the food and white/ clear froth.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- So, this past week he has been eating and only vomited once, correct?
2- Besides the vomiting and peculiar noise, any other symptoms?
3- Is he on any medications?
4- How much does he weigh?
5- Did your vet do any testing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No he has only NOT vomited once. Sorry I didn't explain myself very well.

No other symptoms apart from the breathing thing almost like an asthma attack.

He weights 4.9 kilos, he is on no medication and the vet has done no tests.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Forgive me Amber, I am confused. You said this week only happened once, then you say it did not happen once, can you please explain?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just once he has eaten this week and not been sick every other time he has eaten he has been sick. Hope that makes sense?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Does he ever vomit without eating?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, only when eating.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
To make sure I got this right, Russ is behaving completely normal except that every time he eats the food comes back up, correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes and before he vomits he starts breathing loudly and almost like hyperventilating, the noise sounds like it is vibrating- buzzing
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Amber, the vomiting that you are describing is called "regurgitation" as the food has not been digested. The sound and hyperventilating is part of the process of bringing the food back up. There are many causes for regurgitation. Common causes are: Esophagus disorders (megaesophagus, strictures, parasites), gastritis, tumors or even part of a systemic disease. Having a history of eating a hot piece of breaded scampi it is possible the esophagus became ulcerated and has a stricture. Or, there could be a completely different problem unrelated to the hot food. In this case, the next step is discussing with your family veterinarian to do xrays with barium (contrast material) to highlight the upper gastrointestinal tract and make certain it is not a problem with the esophagus. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Divide his meal to smaller amounts 4-6 times a day.
2- Raise his eating bowl on to a small stool to force him to raise his head while he eats. This may help to stop the regurgitation and keep the food down.
3- Follow up with family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so much, I will do.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.