Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

my dog cries now and again when he jumps on and of the sofa

my dog cries now and again when he jumps on and of the sofa ??
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Any limping?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?
4- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?
5- How much does he weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it started early on this evening not sure what he weighs no coughing no diarrhea he does limp now and again they did say he might have a slight arthrits also i dont think he has gone to toilet today .and is nose was dribbling a bit ..

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- What leg is he limping?
2- Any vomiting?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

left back leg no vomiting , he is eating ok and waggling his tail when you talk to him .

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Andrea, if Rav has been limping from the left back leg and crying when jumping on & off the couch it is a sign of pain. There are many possible causes for a lameness of the hind limb. A very common injury is to the cranial cruciate ligament (ACL in humans); this ligament is difficult to palpate as it is within the knee protected by bones. Certainly, there could be other soft tissue (muscle, tendon or ligament) injury and even a problem with the hip. To determine the exact underlying cause Rav would need an orthopedic examination by family veterinarian and xrays as initial screening test. In the meantime, I would recommend the following:

1- Rest him for the next 4-6 weeks, no running or jumping. Activity should be limited to urinate and defecate on a leash.
2- Discuss with your family veterinarian about starting him on an anti inflammatory medication like rimadyl.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter