Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

my 12 year old x staffy labrador seems a bit off last couple

Customer Question

my 12 year old x staffy labrador seems a bit off last couple of days. He is missing his mum who we had to have put to sleep 5 months ago due to her heart failing. His stools are fine in the morning but very runny in the afternoon.I changed his food to see if that made a difference but it hasnt. He is also drinking more water. He is lively enough when he goes for his walks and he still chases after a ball.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about Lucky, and his mother. My name isXXXXX am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Anytime a dog, especially an older dog, is drinking more water, that gets my attention. It can be a sign of many things: bladder infection, kidney disease, diabetes, hormone imbalances, liver and other internal diseases.

I am concerned about the runny stools, but if he were my dog, the increased drinking would be even more concern.

The runny stools could be a reflection of any internal disease (liver, pancreas, kidneys), stress, or digestive problems.

If he were mine, I would start with a urinalysis to see if there is a bladder infection, if there is protein in the urine (abnormal), if he is concentrating his urine ( it should be concentrated), if there is any sugar in his urine.

For the runny stools, you could try probiotics ( beneficial bacteria supplements), and/or a bland diet (boiled chicken and rice).

Please let me know what else I can answer or help with.

Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian for more than 30 years
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Rebecca, I will give my vets a ring on Monday morning. I cant bear the thought of losing him so soon after his mum plus my own mum died in january but I will not let him suffer. Is there any way I could contact you to let you know how I get on at the vets? Thanks Michele (and Lucky)

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Yes, you can pick up this thread again at any time. Also, I will be checking back with you to see how he is doing.

Is there anything else I can help with or answer now?

Rebecca
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no thank you. Lucky has just come and laid on my feet which he has always done. He was on the sofa earlier.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Kindly consider rating my answer, but only when all your questions have been answered.

I will be checking back with you soon.

How old was his mother? I hope you find that Lucky's problem is not serious.

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating.

Rebecca
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Tina, Luckys mum was 14 and she was a full staffy

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
She had a pretty long life for a big dog. I hope Lucky lives even longer.

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Michele,
How is Lucky doing?

Rebecca
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Rebecca, thought i would give you an update on Lucky. His kidneys are fine and he is not diabetic but our vet is going to xray his tummy and chest to see if their is anything sinister there but she has said it is more a precaution due to his age. We have got another dog from a rescue centre and Lucky loves her to bits, as we all do and he has certainly perked up. He is happy having another friend again. Evie is approx 9 months barrell staffy who was found on New Years Eve, hence the name Evie.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the update. I hope he and Evie continue to do well.

Rebecca