Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Hi dr deb please can you help my dog Paris had had up set belly

Customer Question

Hi dr deb please can you help my dog Paris had had up set belly and being sick for 5 day now it look like that the back end has a little blood will not eat today just drink thank you
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Loretta :

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. I am sorry but Dr. Deb is not available. It appears that Paris has a mild digestive disturbance caused by something she may have ingested or stress. If this is minor, the treatment is as follows:

Dr. Loretta :

Fast Paris for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.

Give Paris Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.

Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes

After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

Dr. Loretta :

If Paris is feeling better, wean her back to her regular diet. I am not worried about the blood you see since this is due to the stool irritating the very sensitive rectal mucosa causing small blood vessels to break and bleed. This will resolve once Paris feels better. Does that make sense to you?