Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog has suddenly started drinking more than a gallon of

My dog has suddenly started drinking more than a gallon of water each day. She is not continually urinating but when she does the flood gates open. I have had the first blood test done and all her main organs appear to be quite normal. The only thing it threw up was high globin levels. She has been put on antibiotics but this has made no difference. Can you help
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

Dr. Altman :

Do you know how elevated the globulin is? Do you know if your vet has requested additional testing, protein electrophoresis specifically?

Customer:

No do not know how elevated the globin level is it just flagged up red but not to far into the scale

Dr. Altman :

Definitely finding out how high and requesting this additional test is critical

Dr. Altman :

It can give an idea of the underlying cause and how best to proceed, including diagnostics and treatment

Dr. Altman :

Elevated globulins to that extent should be subjected to immunoelectrophoresis - testing to see if the hyperglobulinemia is polyclonal or monoclonal. Polyclonal gammopathies suggest persistent antigenic stimulation and inflammation secondary to infectious diseases (chronic bacterial, viral, fungal, protozoal, rickettsial, or parasitic disorders), neoplasia, or immune-mediated disease

Dr. Altman :

CLICK HERE for a full description of the possibilities although it is more in medical jargon so might be difficult to translate

Customer:

She also suffers from an atrified pancreas but is not diabetic but requires lapex to digest food

Dr. Altman :

Unfortunately she is a German Shepherd and this is a very common issue with the breed

Dr. Altman :

But it should not cause an elevation in globulins and really should be tested further to get you more answers and how best to treat Kaiya before she becomes more clinical

Dr. Altman :

I have had a few cases similar to Kaiya, one the past few weeks and know that this process can be difficult

Dr. Altman :

The cost is moderate, similar to regular bloodwork but can be very helpful in getting you answers as far as causes

Customer:

The vet said it may indicate cancer of some description

Dr. Altman :

Yes that is the case

Dr. Altman :

That is what the further testing will help determine

Dr. Altman :

And if so there are treatments but the diagnosis needs to be made first and foremost

Customer:

the vet suggested it may indicate cancer

Dr. Altman :

Yes I understand

Dr. Altman :

Are you able to open the link I included above?

Dr. Altman :

Are you able to view my responses?

Customer:

Thanks for your help. Will return to vet for more tests

Dr. Altman :

Great, please let me know how else I can assist you today

Customer:

Have printed your clinical explanation thanks