DR.J
DR.J, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would love to help you with your problem
74293778

my 15 year old whippet cross clicks his teeth for a long

Customer Question

my 15 year old whippet cross clicks his teeth for a long period stop and start after waking up
Category: Dog
Expert:  DR.J replied 3 years ago.

DR.J :

Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your question

DR.J :

how is Bertie otherwise ?

DR.J :

is he eating and drinking ok?

DR.J :

Has he lost any body weight over the past months ?

DR.J :

Is he showing any strange behaviors ?

DR.J :

One of the more possible things which come into mind is indeed core temperature.

DR.J :

You see, as Bertie has whippet genes (meaning not much insulation between skin and bones) as well as him getting older which means that the natural mechanisms of thermo -regulations are not what they used to be when he was younger . all that brings me firstly to believe that he is cold and hence "clicking his teeth" . When we sleep our core temperature drops which is why we try to keep extra warm when we sleep , same goes for dog .

DR.J :

it could very well be that Bertie is suffering from a low level hypothermia which results in shacking and teeth clicking - a natural response of the body to try and produce more heat .

DR.J :

Other options are neurological or muscle related disease of the jaw but that would manifest in other signs as well like problems eating and , excessive salivation and other more general symptoms involving the whole body.

DR.J :

AS a first step try to increase the heat in his environment as well as cover him or dress him with warm tops (as funny as it may sound) . I would suggest as well to run a general blood test and perhaps test his thyroid gland levels as well - at times this gland grows tired and as a result the rate of metabolism drops which as well means the drop in core temperature .

DR.J :

I don't think this symptoms is a result of anxiety so I doubt that rescue medications such as Kalms will help , more so that it is not licensed for dogs so I will strongly urge against it .

DR.J :

I hope this helps .

DR.J :

If you have any further questions , please let me kknow.

DR.J :

All the best

DR.J :

Dr.J

DR.J :

please , before you leave our chat - do not forget to rate it

JACUSTOMER-ax9vi4ot- : if l cover Bertie he pants heavily.he is too hot. his heart is fine. he is on ipakitine and low protein diet
DR.J :

Hi again.

DR.J :

You didn't mention that Bertie is having kidney problems. When was the last time he had his renal blood values checked? We might be dealing with a systemic problem which again will indicate a full blood profile to be done.

DR.J :

Another thing you can do as just to test would be to buy a thermometer and check his rectal temperature during the day. At times when he is fine and at times when he is clicking his teeth.

DR.J :

Come back to me with the results once you have them