Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Hi, I am currently looking after a poodle schitzu cross whilst

Customer Question

Hi, I am currently looking after a poodle schitzu cross whilst her owner is abroad. Although I have been told that she has been spayed, this morning she has bleeding from her vagina. I have seen this before in a spaniel that had not been spayed. She has also been very grumpy for a few days and restless at night. Also off her food. When walking her she has been extremely popular with the male dogs at the park. Dogs making a serious beeline for her much to some of their owners annoyance. Is it possible that this dog has not been spayed? Thank you, Julie.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello there, it does sound as if she is in season, if this is the case then her vulva will probably appear quite swollen. However there are some very serious diseases which can also appear with these symptoms so best have her checked by a vet just to be on the safe side.

Scott Nimmo :

If she has been spayed then you could be looking at something like a urinary tract infection which would also mean a vet's visit as a course of antibiotics would be required.

Scott Nimmo :

So the botXXXXX XXXXXne is to have your vet check her over I am afraid ...

Customer:

Thank you Scott. If she had been spayed, would she have a scar across her abdomen?

Scott Nimmo :

That would be true but some vets manage to do this operation through very small wounds so sometimes the scar is hard to see ...

Customer:

Okay. This is a bit complicated because the dogs owner is in Canada until July. The dog has her passport and papers but I do not have them. I also have not seen them and read them. My sister is taking care of the dog but has gone to Italy with her husband for two weeks. She has the dogs passport and papers at her house, but like me, has not read them. I agreed to look after the dog for her whislt she is away. I called my sister in Italy this morning, she told me that dogs owner definately said that the dog has been spayed. In fact my sister told me this when i agreed to have the dog. So obviously I was surprised to say the least this morning. Also with hindsight now her and other dogs behaviour seems to make sense.

Customer:

I also take on board what you have said about getting her checked for an infection.

Customer:

It is difficult for us to get hold of her owner in Canada at the moment. The dog has been with my sister since Feb 17th 2014. The owner has not left any provision for taking care of the dogs needs, ie: grooming; worming; flea treatment etc. My sister has been sorting this out because although the owner said she would wire money, she has not. The owner had a return ticket to the UK for May, but has now said she cannot come until July because of lack of funds. She also cannot pay for treatment!

Customer:

Would a vet still check her over without her papers and without her owner? would they see the dog if I took her to a local Vet?

Experience: BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
Hello again Julie,

We can finish off our chat this way if you like ...

Regards,

Scott
Hello again Julie,

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

" Would a vet still check her over without her papers and without her owner? would they see the dog if I took her to a local Vet? " : I am sure they would, just explain the situation and all will be well. There is no particular laws as such governing who can take the dog to the vet. The animal's welfare has to come first ...

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Oh that's good. I was worried that I might not be able to get her checked out. Also my sister lives in West Dorset and I Southampton, I have no way of getting hold of the dogs papers. The owners story just doesn't seem to ring true and both my sister and I think we might end up with a long term pet.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It does sound a little odd Julie, but let's see what the vet says. I will be back in touch in a couple of days to see how things went.

Kindest regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Scott for your help.

Best Regards

Julie

No problem,

Very glad to have advised you...

Regards,

Scott