Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My Westie dog has just been sick after eating either cat or

My Westie dog has just been sick after eating either cat or fox dirt. Should I worry for his health?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Bobby.
Yes, a little concerned. It is possible to pick up an intestinal parasite from ingesting the feces of another animal. So, it would be advised to consult your vet for:
1. Medication to help correct illness quicker
2. A general broad-spectrum dewormer
3. In the next 1-2 weeks, doing a general fecal test.

Bring in a fresh poop sample to the veterinarian. Ideally, within a few hours. Request that it be sent “OUT” to the laboratory instead of being looked at in the hospital (more accurate that way). We are not interested in only worm eggs, but also checking for the very common microscopic bugs like giardia and coccidia. These types of parasites will not be cured with over-the-counter dewormers. Giardia can also be difficult to identify on routine fecal tests, so ask your vet if they always add a “giardia elisa” to the fecal test. Here is more detailed information about fecal testing:
Fecal Testing

Not a serious issue, but worth follow up with your vet and fecal testing for sure. Most vets recommend doing a monthly dewormer anyway

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving, please remember to select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding. My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your response. Just last week I administered Bayer Advocate to Bobby for flea/worm protection which I do regularly. I believe this kills more bugs than the average flea protection. Do you think this would deal with any problem?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Hi Jennifer,
Not 100% confident of that. Some of the common microscopic bugs like giardia or coccidia or not covered by any of these preventatives.

Also, fertilizer really can do a number on the digestive tract, and I have had to treat pets ill for several days. That's why I suggested the vet visit for some better supportive therapy.

A fecal test wouldn't be a bad idea at some point in next week or so, just to be safe.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory.
Dr. Andy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Many thanks for your help.