Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

Looking after someones sprocker. He eats two cans of pedigree

Customer Question

Looking after someone's sprocker. He eats two cans of pedigree dog food per day. The owner stepped it up because he was losing weight. The dog is 11 years old. He farts probably because he gulps it. Should he have any dry adult dog food he certainly likes it I think he would eat anything he is so greedy. He came to us with diarrhea and his poo is yellow sometimes they said he has eaten something wrong they think.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 9 years of experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you.

If the dog is losing weight and has diarrhea, I would be concerned about a possible parasite. It might be a good idea to go to a local pet store and purchase some over the counter dewormer, ideally one that covers roundworms, hookworms, and whipworms. I would continue giving the rice mixed with the canned food, but I would NOT introduce a new dog food or dry dog food. I would give a tablespoon of plain yogurt twice daily and a tablespoon of canned pumpkin once daily for fiber, and keep mixing the canned food with rice until the diarrhea resolves. But give a dose of dewormer and see if that helps. Introducing a dry food will likely make the diarrhea worse, but if the dog seems hungry all the time you can give more rice with the canned food.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Cannot get canned pumpkin in uk started with sweet potato will this do? I saw it somewhere that this works.

If you can't get canned pumpkin, I would give a flavorless fiber supplement powder mixed with food, such as Metamucil, 1/2 teaspoon a day. Best of luck