Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Our dog a yorkie aged 7, recently injured one of his dew nails.

Customer Question

Our dog a yorkie aged 7, recently injured one of his dew nails. He was licking it a lot, but most of the nail has now fallen off leaving only a small stump and what looks like a bit of flesh. he isnt licking it now and it is not bleeding.

Do I need to take him to the vet? How would they treat him? Is it OK to leave to grow back?

thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.

Rebecca :

Rebecca :

I am sorry to hear about Archie's toenail.

Rebecca :

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebecca :

It sounds like the nail tore off, which sometimes happens to dewclaws, and now the "quick" is exposed ( the live part of the nail).

Rebecca :

It takes time for a new nail to grow, but it will grow back.

Rebecca :

Usually I treat these by removing the nail, which is already done, cleaning the area, and sometimes I put these dogs on a few days of pain medication and antibiotics.

Rebecca :

You could apply Neosporin, and keep him from licking it off for 5 minutes to give the antibiotics in Neosporin time to work.

Customer:

Hi Rebecca

Rebecca :

Hi!

Customer:

Hi Rebecca thanks for your reply. Do you feel I need to take archie to the vet, or assume he will heal in time? Difficult to answer without seeing I know. He is still very active running around, but a bit down in the mouth perhaps!

Rebecca :

He will probably heal in time.

Rebecca :

I have seen a few of these get infected, but not often.

Rebecca :

The only thing the vet could do is prescribe pain medication; these can really hurt until the new nail starts to grown.

Rebecca :

You could try aspirin, but no other over the counter pain reliever. How much does he weigh?

Rebecca :

I am not seeing responses from you, and the website times out live chat after 10 minutes.

Rebecca :

Is there anything else I can answer, or help with?

Rebecca :

Please let me know if there is anything else.

Customer:

sorry thanks for your answer. He weights 10 kilos

Customer:

can I give him human aspirin tablets then

Rebecca :

He could take as much as 80 mg, one low dose aspirin, twice daily with food.

Rebecca :

If he vomits, do not repeat it.

Rebecca :

Do not use anything but low dose aspirin.

Rebecca :

Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else.

Rebecca :

I am not seeing responses from you! I will try the other format to reach you if I do not hear back soon.

Rebecca :

Kindly consider rating my answer, but only if all your questions have been answered.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Philippa,
I guess we were having problems connecting. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with. Archie should feel better in a few days to a week, but it will take a month or more for a new nail to grow.

Rebecca
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you - just a final query - by "low dose" aspirin you mean less than 80grammes?

There isn't a specific aspirin product I need to buy is there - other than a low dose tablet? thanks

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Yes, a "low dose", or "baby aspirin" is the 81 mg (not 80, sorry) strength. If he is 10 kilos, he can take one of these, twice daily, with food.

Any brand is fine, as long as it is aspirin.

Let me know if I can answer anything else.

Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian for more than 30 years
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating.

Rebecca