Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

Hi, I have a one year old poodle. We are on holiday at the

Hi, I have a one year old poodle. We are on holiday at the moment and today just out of a sudden she does not want to walk or move at all. When she starts to walk she sits straight down and does not move despite me calling her, promising treats or any other stimulus.
She does start licking around her private bit or her back leg. I did wash her bottom and brushed her hair and checked her bones and muscles etc. I have no idea what's wrong. I am very worried :(
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 9 years of experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you.

Is she spayed? If not, she may be in heat. If she is spayed, I would look closely at the folds around her vulva to see if there is redness or irritation in the folds. If so, you can try using some hydrocortisone cream to soothe the area three times daily and then see a vet as soon as you can. If the folds look normal and she is spayed, then I would suspect she is having an issue with her anal sacs, and they may need to be expressed. You would need to see a vet for that, although some groomers can do external anal sac expression. You can follow this link if you want to try it yourself:
http://www.wikihow.com/Express-a-Dog%27s-Anal-Gland

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for your advice. She is spayed and she has no redness near her vulva. It looks like normal.
I did massage around the anal gland. She did not mind but I did not feel any swelling around the anus..
She is definitely licking her vulva ( she just did it while I was typing).
Otherwise she is ok just does not want to walk at all.... :(
Okay. The most likely scenario is that she either has vaginitis (inflammation inside the vagina) or a urinary tract infection. Unfortunately, for those, there is not much you can do without seeing a vet to get her on some antibiotics. (Unless you have access to Amoxicillin, and you would give about 10mg/lb twice daily.) Ideally, though, she should see a vet for this to get it treated appropriately. Hope this helps! best of luck.