Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog has chewed a bottle of eye drops(hydrogen peroxide 5%)

Customer Question

My dog has chewed a bottle of eye drops(hydrogen peroxide 5%) should I take her to a vet or is there something I can do? She is a Lakeland terrier under 1 year
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome ... My name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Good news! This is not going to cause your dog any serious problems of any sort, there is an outside chance it may cause a minor transient bout of vomiting but probably not even that.

Scott Nimmo :

You see in the states hydrogen peroxide is given orally to dogs quite frequently to induce vomiting where they have swallowed a toxin of some kind, and then it would be given in much larger amounts than your dog will have got hold of ...

Scott Nimmo :

I think you can just forget this incident, you do not need to do anything in this sort of situation ...

Scott Nimmo :

Can I help you further ... ?