Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog gets severely travel sick, I have tried everything I

My dog gets severely travel sick, I have tried everything I know of! Advice?
I am going on aXXXXXwith my 3 year old rescue great dane cross lab, she is happy to get into the car, but once in she starts salivating profusely then throthing at the mouth and then inevitably throws up. I have tried herbal remedies, ginger, something sweet, long walks before the drive, conditioning, travel sickness tablets, DAP spray, and all the above at once to no avail, after 15-30 minutes she is sick. What can I do? We leave on Saturday...
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome ... My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Can you tell me : What was the brand of the name sickness tablets you have already tried, did you get them over the counter or from your vet?

Customer:

The wife bought them over the counter, they were a known brand, I don't remember exactly which ones, something like 'Bob Martin '

Customer:

Customer:

Peter

Scott Nimmo :

Ok, that's fine, I see you are from the UK. My experience is that these over the counter remedies and the other measures you have tried often do not work very well. What you should try next is to get a prescription drug called acetyl promazine from your vet, this has sedative properties but it is also brilliant to treat travel sickness in the dog because it blocked the nerve between balance mechanism in the inner ear and the brain so the dog will be unaware of the motion of the car. Basically a good remedy against motion sickness ...

Scott Nimmo :

It is available in tablet form ...

Customer:

And if that doesn't work? I am a little bit loth to give her a sedative...

Scott Nimmo :

Well if that does not work then consider things like low very dose valium, give Acetyl Promazine a try first, it is very safe and the travel sickness dose will not leave your dog too sedated. I think you have to try a prescription drug now, you have worked through all the common sense home remedies already ...

Scott Nimmo :

very low dose valium ...

Customer:

Experience: BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
Expert:  DR.J replied 3 years ago.
Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your question

I would advise trying first a drug called Cerenia which your vet can give you (it comes in tablet form as well) which have no sedative effect and might do the trick .

Best of luck.

James