Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My labrador (7yrs old) has just refused her lunch - I observed

My labrador (7yrs old) has just refused her lunch - I observed her eating grass a few days ago and last week she was very sick. Should I be concerned?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- When you say last week she was very sick can you describe the symptoms?
2- Is she showing any symptoms now besides not eating her lunch?
3- Is she spayed?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I didn't see her being sick - but it looked like she had swallowed some fabric - like a sock.

She has been crying a lot this morning and is restless, going in and out of the garden constantly.

Yes she is spayed - this was done right after her first season. Her nose is cold.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- Are you seeing any abdominal swelling?
2- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?
3- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Abdomen seems normal - no vomiting etc - her gums are pink and look normal

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Margaret, not eating is a very non specific symptom and can be related to many different medical conditions. Her crying and being restless is a sign of pain which is most likely the reason why she is not eating. As to possible causes it could be abdominal pain (ingestion of a foreign body) or even neuromuscular disorders.
In this case, I would strongly recommend having her checked today by a veterinarian to determine the exact underlying cause. It is important to rule out things like ingestion of a foreign body, the sooner we are able to get to the patient the better the prognosis, less invasive the treatment and also less expensive. Your vet besides a hands on examination may need to do some blood work and xrays as initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter