Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I think my dog has swallowed something and its making him lick

Customer Question

I think my dog has swallowed something and its making him lick everthing in sight.He is wimpering can we do anything to help?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

Dr. Altman :

In most cases licking everything in sight is an indication of nausea in dogs

Dr. Altman :

It can also be a nervous habit but my recommendation would be a few things:
1.) Famotidine 0.5 mg/kg every 12 hours to reduce stomach acid and often reduces nausea
2.) Small frequent meals of boiled chicken/ lean meat and white rice
3.) Getting him up and walking, increased mobility can reduce gi cramping and nausea
4.) If he is unable to get comfortable, has abdominal swelling at all, retching without production, increased lethargy then it is time to consider a veterinary veterinary er this evening

Dr. Altman :

The other option to famotidine (pepcid) is prilosec (omeprazole) 1 mg/ kg daily to reduce stomach acids

Dr. Altman :

These are human products used for antacids and found in your local grocery or pharmacy. Other antacids such as tums or pepto bismol are simply not very effective in dogs

Dr. Altman :

I will monitor for your response, if you haven't entered the chat in the next few moments I am going to change formats...

Hopefully this format is more readily viewable, please let me know how else I can assist you both today...