DR.J
DR.J, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would love to help you with your problem
74293778

My dog is a7 yr old Border terrier bitch.She has been spayed

Customer Question

My dog is a7 yr old Border terrier bitch.She has been spayed during the last year and has had quite a few litters of pups before this. I have had her since October last. She has a very red and itchy stomach, which my own vet said was an allergy. He gave her a dose of steroids but it has returned, Are there any effective home treatments Please
Category: Dog
Expert:  DR.J replied 3 years ago.

DR.J :

Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your question

DR.J :

Sorry to hear about Pip's itchy belly

DR.J :

by the sound of it your vet is right , she might be allergic to something she is coming in contact with , especially something she passes over on her walk (say - cut grass , some specific shrubs)

DR.J :

It could be as well something she lays on . You might be using a new detergent in your wash which she might come in contact with and may result in her presenting symptoms

DR.J :

What I can suggest is the following :

DR.J :

a. try and avoid the causing factor whenever possibly (I know at times it's close to impossible)

DR.J :

b. use Piriton (of the counter drug) at a dose of 4mg up to three times a day (every 8 hours) - this is an antihistamine which works very good on allergies.

DR.J :

There are other drugs which you vet can give you - some contain steroids and some other substances which are stronger but I rather you give piriton a try first .

DR.J :

I hope this helps .

DR.J :

if you have any more questions - please let me know

DR.J :

all the best

Customer: Thanks for the advice, can you recommend any creams, canes ten cream perhaps
DR.J :

well - creams that contain alovera are always good as they themselves contain soothing elements . even sudocrem is a good substance but all are for after the effect only and will not prevent it . while Piriton will help reduce the symptoms and much faster and more efficient

Customer: Thanks very much for your help, very instructive, we have been gigging her small doses of Piriton, but will up the dosage as per your suggestion. The creams really are just to stope her scratching. Thanks for your help.