Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My female lab is licking herself a lot and wont stop , she

Customer Question

My female lab is licking herself a lot and wont stop , she is now slavering quite a lot after licking too
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Is she licking a specific area?
3- Can you open her mouth to make sure there is nothing stuck under the tongue, teeth or gums?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She has been doing it for about 2 to 3 hours.

she licks her front legs and the neck area

have looked and cannot see anything at all

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- Are you seeing any redness or sores in the area she is licking?
2- How much does she weigh?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She is a chocolate lab so cannot see any redness or sores in the area

around the 26 kg mark

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Mark, a very common cause for excessive licking of the skin that comes on quickly is an allergic reaction. I would recommend you start her on an antihistamine like Chlorpheniramine 8-12mg every 12 hours. Or, benadryl (diphenhydramine) 50mg every 12 hours. You can buy these over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist). If you don't see a significant improvement within 12 hours of starting the antihistamine I would have her checked by family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter