Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Hi, My Yorkshire 18 months had a sudden change of behavior

Customer Question

My Yorkshire 18 months had a sudden change of behavior , she became scary , used to be joyful now she barely utter a sound and when she do it , these are unusual sounds , she is very very calm , she eats normaly.
She is very cautious from any food (other than regular in the pot) like a cracker for example she will have to take it from my hand or she has to explore it before .
This is my first dog
any indication please , thanks , Joe
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning Joe and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This is a common trait in some dogs. They develop fears that cause extreme anxiety similar to those anxieties of humans. The only way to get Coco over this is "Desensitization" which means constant exposure to such things as the foods until she realizes that these fears will not hurt her. To do this, first avoid these while making Coco comfortable in her situation. You may need help in doing this since when you try, as you have experienced, she is too afraid to understand. Purchase a DAP Collar at the pet store. This is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will decrease anxiety.

Thundershirts are useful since this is one of the most common fears causing extreme anxiety and can be very effective.

If this is not enough, your vet will have medication to help Coco past this. Take her to your vet for an exam to be sure there is not a medical cause for this and ask about anti anxiety medication such as Fluoxetine or Buspirone. Then expose her to the things she fears over and over, constantly talking in a soft voice and giving treats when she does something positive. Here is a site with more tips:http://www.petplace.com/dogs/fear-of-thunder-sounds-or-noises/page1.aspx.....You will have to click CLOSE WINDOWS to get into this site.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta