Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My Westie/Tibetan cross 4 year old is just recovering from

Customer Question

My Westie/Tibetan cross 4 year old is just recovering from her third operation to remove a foreign body. This time a part of a rubber toy. The last two times stones. I have failed to get satisfactory advice. Muzzling a very happy dog in her home and garden isn't an option to me.
If she does it anymore I think she will be insurable......and get adhesions.
Devam
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Don't feel bad about this...it is a common problem with many dogs. One of my clients lived on a golf course and he ingested golf balls.....after 3 surgeries to remove up to 10 balls, we were able to bait the balls with Cayenne pepper which stopped him from ingesting these objects.

There is a product at the pet store called Bitter Apple that tastes very bad to dogs and you can bait as many of the toys and rocks that you can and it is not harmful to dogs.

I would also recommend that you take Minnie back to an obedience school so that she will listen to you when you say NO! After many times of this, she wil get the idea that this is not good behavior.

Does that make sense to you? Good luck!

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Thank you so much, Devam, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help.

Have a wonderful day!