Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian
Experience:  21 years small animal general and emergency practice
15552883

I think my border terrier has just eaten bonemeal when she

I think my border terrier has just eaten bonemeal when she was let out into the garden by mistake but am not 100%. Not sure what to do. Thanks. Caroline
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Dave :

Hello, and thanks for writing in.

Dr. Dave :

How much bone meal do you suspect Danny may have eaten?

Dr. Dave :

Was it straight bone meal only, or was the bone meal mixed with anything else (i.e. pesticides)?

Customer: I'm not sure, we have had a look around the tree where it was laid today but there has been no digging and we did cover most of the bonemeal with soil. Danny was outside a full 5 mins and when we called him in he was around the bottom of the garden where this was laid. There was about 2.5 kg laid earlier today.
Customer: It was straight bonemeal.
Dr. Dave :

Thanks for your reply. Bone meal by itself is not toxic. If a large amount is eaten, it may cause stomach upset (vomiting, diarrhea), which typically will resolve in it's own. Most dogs that eat bone meal will not show any abnormal symptoms at all. I would just keep an eye on him over the next 24 hours for any excessive vomiting or diarrhea. If it occurs and continues, Danny may need to be treated by a veterinarian, but this would be very unlikely. He will most likely be just fine.

Customer: That's great news. Thank you so much for your time.
Dr. Dave :

You're very welcome - glad to be here to help out! I hope you and Danny have a great rest of the weekend.