Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Hi. My 1,5 year old toy poodle is doing soft coated

Customer Question

Hi. My 1,5 year old toy poodle is doing soft poops coated in clear jelly 2-3 times a day. He is skinny ,very active and playful. I was giving him stool hardening pills for about a week (I got from pet shop ) but it didn't do anything. I got the dog about 2 months ago and he never did hard poops. Also he is farting a lot. My kids 3 and 4 years are having diarrhea for last 3 weeks and I am worrying the dog could pass some infection to them. There is no worms in his stool or any blood that I noticed. He only eats wet food and refusing dry. He also drinks lots of water. many thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.

Rebecca :

Rebecca :

I am sorry to hear about Fin.

Rebecca :

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebecca :

The first thing I would do, if he were mine, is a microscopic examination of some of his stool under a microscope.

Rebecca :

Most parasites are too small to see with the naked eye. If he has something like Giardia, he could spread that to family members, and you would not see anything in the stool except diarrhea, mucus and maybe blood.

Rebecca :

The All in One dewormer would not help with Giardia.

Rebecca :

If he has something like Giardia or Coccidia, he needs prescription medication.

Rebecca :

He could also have something else, such as low pancreas function, a food allergy to something he is eating, or an infection.

Rebecca :

I am not seeing responses from you. I hope you can see what I am writing!

Rebecca :

I will try to connect with you another way, if I do not hear from you.

Rebecca :

If he is drinking more water, that is probably to make up for losing water in the soft stool.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Marta,
I hope you can now see what I am saying.

Please let me know what else I can answer or help with. I would start by taking a stool sample to Fin's veterinarian to be examined under a microscope.

Rebecca
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your response.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
You are welcome. Is there anything else I can answer?

Kindly consider rating my answer, but only when all your questions have been answered.

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating!

Rebecca