Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My small poodle has hurt himself trying to jump up on to the

Customer Question

My small poodle has hurt himself trying to jump up on to the bed and sliding down. Not very far but he has pain seemingly from his insides and when he walks, very slowly, he holds his left back paw very gingerly. He had a problem years back when he insisted on mounting a dog too big for him and was i pain for several weeks after. Can I give him paracetamol to ease his pain?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome ... My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

I am so glad you asked this and did not go ahead and dose Bilbo with paracetamol, it is very unsuitable for dogs and there have been problems related to toxicity in dogs with this drug.

Scott Nimmo :

You do have one option though, aspirin, on a short term home remedy aspirin would be much safer and more effective than the other over the counter human pain killers and aspirin is sometimes prescribed for dogs. A typical dose rate would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight twice daily. The judgment whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to a an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK

Scott Nimmo :

That should safely do the trick, do not use coated aspirin in the dog as they cannot dissolve the coating in their intestinal tract, buffered is best but plain aspirin is just fine as well ..

Customer:

Thanks shall I crush it and give it with milk? I dont know his weight but his height is35 cms from shoulder and his lengthis about50cm includin his head.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi you did not answer my question

Hi Christine,

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

1. Give the aspirin whole if you can but dissolve it or hide it in food if you have to ...

2. To get his weight just weigh yourself while holding him on the bathroom scales, then put him down and weigh yourself without him. Then subtract the difference ...

Regards,

Scott
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
Hello again Christine,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated. I will get back in touch with you in a couple of days to check on Bilbo's progress, and I should also be about for the next couple of hours today so please get straight back to me if things have changed and you want to talk things over further.

Kindest regards,

Scott

Scott Nimmo The Online Vet
Hello again Christine,

I am just getting back in touch to see how Bilbo is getting on.

How are things going at present?

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Scott , thanks for asking about Bilbo he is much better now, just occasionally

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Scott , thanks for asking about Bilbo he is much better now, just occasionally he has a little twinge of pain when getting up

Hi Christine,

Thanks very much for the update, I am so glad things are improving ...

Regards,

Scott