Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Standard poodle, brown liquid coming out of ear, dog in pain

Standard poodle, brown liquid coming out of ear, dog in pain and shaking his head every few seconds.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Is it one or both ears?
3- The liquid is coming from the ear canal, correct?
4- Does the liquid have a bad odor?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It started really bad last night
Right ear only
Very smelly
Yes liquid out of ear canal
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Kim, it sounds like Dexter has an ear infection. He will need to be seen by your family veterinarian to get topical medications. If you do not have access to immediate vet care this is what you can do in the meantime:

1- Pick up in your local pet store an ear cleaning solution and clean the ear of all discharge using cotton. If the ear is very irritated, clean with plain water, once the irritation improves use the ear cleaning solution.

2- After cleaning the ear as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin.
3- Do the above twice a day for 10-14 days. Always clean the ear as above before applying the topical antibiotic.
4- If you do not see significant improvement in 2-3 days after doing the above have him checked by your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That's great but as Easter Sunday everything closed. Is there anything I can do today to clean ear and can I give him half of a paracetamol to take away some pain. ?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Last check was 4 stone 9 pound
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- Do you have aspirin?
2- Do you have a topical antibiotic?
3- So he is 65 lbs, correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, 65 1bs
Haven't got antibiotics
I can get some aspirin
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Do you have vinegar and rubbing alcohol?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Only vinegar
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Kim, this is what you can do:
1- Do not give paracetamol, instead you can give him Aspirin 325mg every 12 hours for 5 days with food.
2- Dilute vinegar with water (half and half) and use this as an ear cleaning solution. Using cotton clean out the ear canal of all discharge; feel free to pour some of the liquid into the canal (messy) then clean out with cotton.
3- Follow up with family veterinarian for topical antibiotics.

Dr. Peter