Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years experience in Small Animal veterinary practice
23462335

I gave my 30kg Labrador one 200mg Ibuprofen 4 hours ago to

I gave my 30kg Labrador one 200mg Ibuprofen 4 hours ago to help with sorenes. I think it was really stupid. He's fine, just tired from too much excersise yesterday which is why he was sore and stiff. What should I do now for him?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 3 years ago.

Ibuprofen is extremely toxic to dogs and can cause kidney failure and death. Even small amounts in large dogs can cause problems.

It is vital your dog is examined by a vet as this damage can develop within a short space of time or unto 5 days after the Ibuprofen is ingested.

Usually we start by making the dog sick, but this is usually helpful within the first 4 hours after ingestion. We then minimise further gastrointestinal absorption using activated charcoal.

At this point we would take a blood sample to assess any potential developing kidney problems and monitor this over a few days. If indicated intravenous fluid therapy is commenced to support the kidney function.

There is nothing you can do that will benefit him from home and if left he may develop serious life threatening problems. The tiredness you see may be a sign of other problems other than excess exercise.

Good luck and I hope he is OK

Dr Dan Makin
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. I just called the emergancy Vet in Edinburgh and they told me to watch for vomitting and diarrhoea over the next 5 days - in which case he will need to be treated and tested for related problems. Told me I'd been stupid and hopefully he'll be ok - keep him hydrated and little food portions at a time.

He's just had a bowel movement - all was fine. He was also just chasing a cat in the garden. Hopefully i'll be lucky, but I'll monitor him closely.

Thanks again.

Thats good news, I would still be nervous about kidney effects and consider getting his blood checked when your vets re opens on Tuesdays.

Good luck and fingers crossed

Dan