Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 10 yr old beagle dog ate a small Lindt chocolate bunny with

My 10 yr old beagle dog ate a small Lindt chocolate bunny with aluminium foil on Tuesday afternoon 15th April that resulted 24 hours later in her drinking lots of water and then constantly throwing up that looked like bile.
She ate normal onthe Wednesday. In the early hours of Thursday she started this problem.And she lost all interest in eating. She ate nothing on Thursday and all day Friday and began to ask for food on Friday tea timeWe decided to give her a little boiled rice which appeared to be ok.
On Saturday morning ,we introduced half her normal amount of her normal 'dried' dog food followed by another half portion later.
During last night she must have had problems because we found at 7.30 this morning. Copious amounts of Dhiarreha patches everywhere. And has been continuously excreting fluid every hour or so and now we have spotted some blood in it.
She is still drinking water and resting and with no sign of any distress . We will be getting her to the vet on Tuesday morning but can you advise for now please ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did you find the aluminum foil in the vomit or stool?
2- Is she lethargic?
3- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1. No foil found

2 she appears to be her usual dozy self in the house

3. Pinkish (doesn't like being examined)

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Carol, I am concern that the symptoms that you are describing could be related to the foil being obstructed in the gastrointestinal tract. Certainly, there could be other causes like infections, parasites, etc. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol (bismuth) or imodium.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean back into regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- If she becomes lethargic, anorexic, continues to vomit, follow up with ER vet, do not wait until tuesday. Otherwise, follow up with family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX has had a little water how much rice and chicken by volume should she be offered. Her present weight is approx 14kgs

also,once food has been offered and hopefully eaten . Do we make water readily available or control and monitor?

await your reply

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
You can give her 1.5 to 2 cups of rice with meat a day.

Yes, she can have water readily available after fasting and no vomiting.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.