Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

german shepherd keeps vomiting and has passed blood

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How often is she vomiting?
2- How long has this been going on?
3- Are you seeing blood in the vomit or stool?
4- Any pre existing medical conditions?
5- Is she currently on any medications?
6- How much does she weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She was ill a few weeks ago, same symptoms. Was taken in scanned, x-rayed and nothing found. After treatment, put on drip and fish/rice diet she was back and up.

Yesterday off her food. first stool of the day clear and normal. vomited this afternoon and then passed a watery stool with blood in it

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Is the blood in the stool or the vomit?
2- Did she have an abdominal ultrasound (sonogram)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

nothing in the vomit

small watery stool this afternoon with light traces of blood

yes abdominal ultrasound

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Are you seeing mucus (jelly like) in the stool?
2- To make sure I got this right, so after a similar episode few weeks ago she went back to normal and now it is back, correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the small stool this afternoon looked slimy

She was worse a few weeks ago, only because i didnt pick up on the signs early enough but yes she is starting to exhibit similar signs.

Also panting a lot

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Has she been dewormed? If so, what was used?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes.

bob martin

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Bob martin the spot on dewormer? Do you have the container with you to tell me what is the active ingredient?
2- Was she dewormed after the symptoms started?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry don't have the container

the deworming was quite a few weeks before the first episode, probably 8 weeks

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Andrew, when we see mucus (slime) and blood in the stool it is a sign of inflammation in the lower intestinal tract (colon), the vomiting is simply a consequence of the inflammation. There are many possible causes like infections, imbalance of friendly vs unfriendly bacterias in the colon, intestinal parasites, auto immune (IBS), etc. to name a few causes. In this case, the fact that these episodes are intermittent I would place intestinal parasites high on the list, in particular a parasite called whipworm (T. vulpis). Deworming was a great idea, but, bob martin dewormer does not treat against whipworms. This is what you can do:

1- I would deworm her with Fenbendazole (panacur) give it once a day for 3 days at label dose. Then, repeat after 3 weeks.

2- Continue on a probiotic. But, use something like fortiflora. Dairy products (yogurt) can cause inflammation in the intestinal tract of dogs. Avoid dairy products. You can find this over the counter in any pet store or online.

3- Change her diet to rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) until the stool is normal. Then, wean back into a diet free of grains (corn, soy, gluten, etc.).

4- If after doing the above the diarrhea or blood continues then I would discuss with your veterinarian about doing blood work to rule out systemic causes. Or, an ultrasound guided biopsy of the gastrointestinal tract to take a closer look at what is happening in the intestinal tract.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.