Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog has diarrhea for 2/3 days (but seems to control bowel

My dog has diarrhea for 2/3 days (but seems to control bowel movements - i.e. no accidents). Seems happy in itself, but with a bit less energy. No vomiting. Good appetite. On daily Metcam for joint problems. Any ideas?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has she been on metacam?
2- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Been on Metacam for a long time on an as needed basis. Her owners said they were now administering 20 units daily. Don't know for how long they have been doing this but must be at least a week before she came to us and probably much longer. Has been on it a week since coming to us. No evidence of her getting into anything out of the ordinary.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Helen, diarrhea can be caused by many different conditions. Common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. You see, stopping the diarrhea with medication can make things worst if this is related to an infection or ingestion of a foreign body. For now, stop the metacam until the stool is normal.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean back into regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours have her checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She is also on Seraquin - should I stop this as well?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Yes, stop it as well.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter