Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

hi my dog has injured his back right leg he is unable to walk

Customer Question

hi my dog has injured his back right leg he is unable to walk and there is swelling around the top of the leg.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta , a licensed veterinarian and am happy to answer your question.

I have a few questions to help me better assist you.

Is he able to walk on the other rear leg? Do you know what this injury was from?

How long ago did this happen?

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes he can walk on the other back leg he jump of my sofa and landed awkwardly this happened 18 hours ago.

Thank you Jade for that information...

This may be a strained or sprained tendon or ligament that has caused enough damage that it is swollen. The treatment for thsi is aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs and applying cold compresses to the swollen area to help decrease this swelling. If this is minor, the aspirin will reduce the inflammation that is causing Toto's pain . If this has not resolved within a few days, Jade, you will have to have your vet exmaine Toto because there is a chance that Toto may have ruptured her ACL and that will require veterinary treatment.

Does that make sense to you, Jade?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Thank you so much, Jade, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help.

Have a wonderful day!